Saturday, January 11, 2014

Porters Birth Story

Porter was born Monday Dec. 16th, 4 hours after we arrived at the hospital and 7 min of pushing!

I was scheduled for an elective induction at 39 weeks, Dec. 16th. The night before our induction my mother in law came over to stay the night and be with Hudson while we went to the hospital. I was so nervous because with Hudson I ended up going into labor by myself, and I was scared of a long failed induction. 

That morning we got up a little before 6 am and grabbed the last of our stuff. I tried to eat some breakfast (oatmeal and toast) but I was getting more nervous and excited and sad to leave Hudson. We got to the hospital just before 7am. Right away they hooked me all up and started my pitocin in my IV. They checked me when we arrived, I was starting at 3 cm dilated and 95% effaced. (at my 38 week check up a week before I was 2 cm and 80%). The contractions started, but weren't horrible. They said they would be upping my pitocin every 30 minutes and to let them know when I was ready for an epidural. I was trying to hold off as long as possible. A little before 8:30 my doctor came in to check on me, and he also broke my water. He checked and said I was still at a 3, but come to find out. After the delivery he told me he lied to me and I was really a 4 when he broke my water but he didn't want to get me to excited incase things slowed down! My mom showed up around this time. So it was Tanner and my mom in the room with us. At  9 the contractions were getting to be just a little to much so I asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist got into our room just before 9:30 am. I was already nervous because epidurals just kinda scare me (seriously a giant needle in your spine!) and it looks like I had good reason to be nervous because my epidural didn't turn out as nicely as it did with Hudson. When he started to fish the needle thingee up my spine I felt this odd weird painful sensation in my right hip. He said I wasn't fully numb (from the "pre numb" shot) so he had to give me another shot. Then he started to try to fish it up my spine again. It wouldn't go up, no matter what he did. They started to adjust me and put a pillow under my legs to get me to straighten out. I was freaking out inside. Your not supposed to move during these things and it was taking forever! Finally got into a position where he could finish the epidural. However, he ended up hitting on a nerve. My entire right leg felt like it was on fire and getting electrocuted all at the same time. Poor Tanner, I was basically clawing at his hands trying not to move. They said I had to just endure the pain until he passed by the nerve. It probably didn't last that long, but it felt like forever. The epidural was finally done at 10 am. They checked me right after, I was now at a 6! yay! I laid there and after a couple contractions it was very clear that I was only numb on my right side. I also got a headache and got kinda dizzy. They upped my epidural a couple times and had me lay on my left side to see if the medicine would travel to the left side. After about 20 horrible minutes I felt some pressure down bellow. I called the nurse and at 10:20 she checked me and I was now at an 8! in only twenty minutes! I still wasn't numb on my left side (only my foot and shin were numb on the left). I was so frustrated, to go through that horrible epidural and still have to feel half of the pain! The nurse had me try laying on my right side to see if that would do anything since I would be pushing soon. That was heaven! I started to feel less dizzy, and my left side finally went numb! I was SO numb at this point though. With Hudson I remember being able to feel pressure and what not, and still able to somewhat move my very heavy legs. Not this time!! I couldn't move at all, even just trying to adjust a little I had to have help. At about 10:30 am we called Tanners mom and told her to head to the hospital. We wanted Hudson their so he could be the first one to meet his little brother. Then at 10:40 something felt off, not really pressure but something was going on. The nurse came back and checked me, I was 9 1/2 cm dilated! She called the doctor, and joked she hoped he would get their in time. They started to set everything up for the baby. It still didn't feel real. I was finally feeling better and able to somewhat focus on what was going on. I pushed for an hour with Hudson, so I was thinking it would still be some time before little man made his arrival. By 11 the doctor got into the room and checked me, I was still a 9 1/2. He said there was still just a little bit of cervix near the top that needed to open. He said we would start pushing to see if that would help. We started pushing and in just a couple pushes everyone was saying how they saw the head. It still didn't feel real yet. It still felt like we were practicing. Lo and behold though, 7 minutes later at 11:18am Porter was born! He was perfect. I was a little shaky right after so I didn't trust myself holding him right away. They took porter and did the weighing, foot prints, etc. It was nice to be able to watch those since Hudson went to the NICU we didn't get to see any of that. After he was all bundled up I got to hold my sweet baby. He was perfect in every way. Hudson came in and was in aww of his new baby. He sat up in bed with me and gave me kisses and gave porter a little teddy bear. Then he got to open his present from Porter (garbage cans). He loved them!

We went to our room about 2 hours later. We had a few friends and family come visit, it was nice and relaxing. Nothing to hectic. It did take 5 hours for my epidural to mostly wear off (my right thigh was still a little numb) that was the most annoying part.

I still can't believe I have two little boys!! These boys are my world and I cant imagine life without them. We went home from the hospital Wednesday morning, and have just been enjoying our time getting to know this cute little guy. 








Porter is on left, Hudson on right! Little twiners 

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, he is precious and they do look like twins! :-)

    ReplyDelete